Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Dining out in the Woo


I’ve lived in Worcester, MA (aka the Woo!) for almost six years now, and for the first four, I was kind of an in-between resident since I attended college here but went home during breaks. So it’s really been in the last few years, when I got a car and then moved out of my college apt (if you know where Clark is, you know what I’m talking about!) that I’ve discovered Worcester is pretty cool. It has its bad parts but also good ones – you could say it’s a diamond in the rough, well almost.

There are lots of things to do and see in this city: Watch the Eastern Sprints - one of the US premier rowing events on Lake Quinsigamond; go to a Tornadoes, Sharks, or Surge game; visit the Ecotarium or Higgins Armory Museum (really cool!); check out one of the city’s 11 colleges and universities – they have great campus greens and there are always events going on open to the public.

But what I love most about this city is the diversity of food choices. Here are some of my favorite places to catch a bite in Worcester:

Chinese
Nancy Chang: This is my go-to place for Chinese takeout. They specialize in a healthier version of Asian food, with no MSG so you don’t get that weird empty feeling shortly after you eat.

Italian
As mentioned, there are tons of places to eat on Shrewsbury Street, but I really like Porto Bello…no web site but you’ll have to take my word for it. They’re a family owned place and I enjoy going there for a nice quiet dinner.

Caffe Espresso Trattoria: I would label this a hole in the wall joint. I went there with friends who have been going for years and I would have never thought to go in if I drove by it. Food is really good, prices also – $15-$20 a plate but a good deal because it’s BYOB. There’s a waitress there that makes the desserts from scratch that are the yummiest I’ve had in a long time.

Mexican
Tortilla Sam’s: Big hit with WPI students, as it’s right there on Highland Street. Also a BYOB and I’ve had good meals here.

Moe’s Southwest Grill: This is my pick for Mexican, hands down. I technically go to the one in Shrewsbury on Route 9 but they opened a location in Worcester last year. Love the names for the burritos (I always get the Joey Bag of Donuts!) and the portions are huge.

Japanese
Haiku: there are a couple of new and very classy sushi joints popping up in Worcester and my favorite is on Park Avenue. I love the décor in here and sushi is what I always get, but my guy has quite enjoyed some of their non-sushi entrees.

Vietnamese (I heart Asian food!)
Pho Dakao: Another kind of hole in the wall place but very clean and very good. In fact, when we eat here, we often see other Vietnamese locals dining here also. Now that’s a good sign! Warning: people have complained about the service (I’ve never experienced this myself) but at the same time they admit the food is good.

Middle Eastern
El Basha: My favorite lunch on a Saturday when I don’t feel like making anything is going to pick up two falafel sandwiches for $10.50. Very tasty and their pita bread is some of the best I’ve had.

Variety/Eclectic
Flying Rhino Cafe: on Shrewsbury Street, I label this restaurant as eclectic because their menu is so diverse and unique. For an appetizer, try the tequila shrimp and for an entree, the pumpkin ravioli with pesto cream sauce, asparagus, and sun dried tomatoes.

Dessert
Caffe Dolce: Right next to Porto Bello on Shrewsbury Street, it’s got a European café feel to it, where you can pop in for a variety of coffee drinks and – lots of tasty options here.

Bean Counter: For a while, I had an extreme addiction to this place in college. They have an assortment of coffees and great looking desserts. I say great-looking because I can only vouch for one – the vegan cupcake. My roommates and I used to come here too often sometimes. I’m not vegan (they do offer regular cupcakes) but I preferred these for some reason, especially when they were fresh. I so want one right now!

3 comments:

The Wandering Albatross said...

Ate at the Sole Proprietor last night and it was excellent! A little on the expensive side but with apps, dinner, and dessert was about $100 per couple so not too ridiculous! I would definitely eat there again.

Voyageuse said...

Yum! I always enjoy the Salmon with the portobello mushrooms at the Sole. If you like crab, they have a special crab menu for the entire month during the summer and to celebrate the occasion, there's a huge inflatable "Buster the Crab" that can't be missed on top of the roof!

KerryLJ said...

Oh, the vegan cupcakes...