Thursday, June 19, 2008

Splurge-worthy souvenirs

Like many women, I love to shop. And like many women, I love deals! There are times however, when you get the urge to splurge. And what better occasion than to bring home a splurge-worthy souvenir from a fabulous trip. When I studied abroad for 6 months, a friend convinced me that the perfect splurge was a pair of sunglasses. After a bit of hemming and hawing (being a poor college student) I bought myself a gorgeous pair of Roberto Cavalli sunglasses in Milan, Italy. Not too ostentatious but they sure made me feel like a rock star!

About a year later, while vacationing in the Dominican Republic, my fiancĂ© convinced me to go kayaking in the ocean. Although it was very sunny and I needed my one only pair of sunglasses that I had on me (yep the Cavallis), we should not have been cleared to go because the waters were rough. One huge wave and we went flying. “Hold on to your sunglasses!” was the last thing Mr. Voyageuse yelled. Yeah, sure – while I hang on to the silly paddle, try not to get killed by the kayak that almost hit me, and hope my contacts don't fall out or I may blindly head out to sea instead of back to the shore. We searched and searched but needless to say, my sunglasses are now swimming with the fishies.

It’s hard to justify expensive purchases, especially in times like these, but I once read an article where the author examined several women and their wardrobes. She took several pieces and divided each by the number of times worn. What she found was that the woman who purchased a lot of items at very low prices was more prone to “mindless” purchases because she couldn’t resist a deal, even if she didn’t end up wearing the item. Another woman had a few pricey pieces (such as a Chanel jacket!) but these were investments because they were classic and timeless and she had worn them for years. Obviously, these profiles don’t fit all women, and I sure love my TJ Maxx and Marshalls stores, but this could be something to think about if you’re debating a large purchase.

Splurging on an accessory is a great way to compliment an outfit. Mrs. TravelSpark bought a Furla bag in Italy – brown in color, not like the eggplant one in the picture below. Classic, stylish, and she’ll have it for years.















I love jewelry and usually buy it on sale because I like to have a lot of pieces. But whenever I visit Poland, I always purchase a piece of amber jewelry, because it’s my favorite stone. On a future trip, I’d love to buy a jade bracelet in Asia.


















If you’re not much of a shopper, splurge on your accommodations for a night or two during your trip. When I travel, I'm happy as a clam as long as the place is clean and in a convenient location. But a quick search of five star accommodations in Paris made my mouth drop to the floor. I didn’t even check the prices so that I can pretend it’s in my travel budget. Check these out:

Hotel Pont Royal: What a view!

















Pavillon de la Reine: Way to make an entrance.



















La Tremoille



And now, having whetted an appetite for expensive tastes, I’m off to write a post on deals and steals while traveling.

No comments: