Sunday, June 29, 2008

Krakow - A Tale of Two Novotels

On Wednesday and Thursday of last week, I stayed at two Novotel hotels in Krakow, Poland. I'm pre-disposed to dislike Novotels. I think it's the neon-colored accessories so reminiscent of hideous scrunchies that I wore in the early 1990s combined with the ultra-modern George Jetson-esque bathrooms.

Two years ago I stayed at the Novotel Centrum in Krakow and was so horrified by the dingy rug and quilt that I inspected the whole bed for critters (there weren't any). I vowed to never stay there again and the following year spent the night at the very nice Sheraton down the street. But given the economic times, my company suggested I give the Novotel Centrum another go on this trip.

After many flight delays I finally showed up at the hotel around 2am. I had a confirmation number and my room was "guaranteed" for late arrival. What happened next was frighteningly similar to my all-time favorite scene from "Seinfeld". Bottom line: the hotel deleted my reservation and gave it to a tour group's late arriving guest, and the hotel was fully booked. The night clerk, who I consent wasn't really in a position to do much for me, offered to book me in a room at the Novotel Bronowice, about a fifteen-minute's drive away, and pay for a taxi (which I didn't need, since my kind co-worker had picked me up at the airport). At my request, he made an appointment with the manager with me for the next day so I could air my complaints.

The Novotel Bronowice is cheaper than the Centrum, mostly because it's in an industrial area as opposed the Centrum's location right near Wawel Hill. My room was, fortunately, recently renovated in Novotel's new ultra-modern style. This picture isn't of this particular Novotel, but you get the idea. Note the neon throw-pillows on the bed. I was impressed that there was a terry cloth robe hanging in the bathroom and chocolates on the pillow. The bed was reasonably comfortable, but the sheets' thread count was probably something around 150 (scratchy!). The breakfast room was in sore need of updating, but more importantly no one ever offered me a much-needed cup of coffee and the glasses by the self-serve juice took about 15 minutes to appear.

I then headed back to the Novotel Centrum to check in and have it out with the manager. There was no way I was going to pay for my night at the hotel. The manager on duty was pleasant and of course didn't offer the free night up front - first, it was a room on the executive floor with a river view, and free breakfast. Given that I'd be in meetings all day and would check out before breakfast was even served, I suggested a free night instead. After conferring with her manager, she agreed.

My room ended up being on the executive floor after all, and was renovated since the last time I stayed there. No neon pillows, better linens, bathrobe and slippers, but no chocolates. The bathroom wasn't the nice updated version as in the other Novotel. If Novotel combined the best features of both hotels, the result would be a decent economical room.

Rating: Both were "Forgettable". Spend a few extra dollars and stay at the Sheraton down the street for a more comfortable room, better food, and better service.

No comments: