Monday, June 9, 2008

Vacationing in the great outdoors

With gas prices rising and the airline crisis underway, it’s no wonder more Americans are choosing to vacation closer to home. New England has many great options for day or weekend trips and I personally love to go camping. My parents never thought I’d survive a week on a farm in Poland when I was 15 and were surprised when I became a fan of sleeping outdoors. The way I see it, I don’t mind bugs and other critters in their natural habitat but I’m not so keen when they visit my habitat.

For the past few years, my guy and I make an annual trip to Wellfleet to Paine’s Campground on Cape Cod, MA. We usually stay for 3 days and love it here. It’s only $40 bucks per night, and the campground offers family sites as well as a quiet couples section. Restrooms/showers are very clean and each time we’ve stayed here, our site is less than a minute’s walk from these facilities.
















Before you hit one of the beaches in Wellfleet (Newcomb Hollow, Cahoon Hollow, White Crest, Maguire’s Landing and Marconi), stop by the fruit stand in the library parking lot in Wellfleet Center for some really good fruit and other produce and treats.

My guy used to work at The Beachcomber on Cahoon Hollow Beach, a very popular place that I’ve also become a huge fan of. You pay $10 to park and go to the beach but you're reimbursed by the restaurant if you eat there, which I highly recommend. During the summer, The Beachcomber has many live shows in the evenings and some great acts have performed there, like Ween! If you plan to visit during the day, it’s best to get here early because the parking spots fill up fast.

Where else but the Cape to grab some seafood if you get bored of your hot dogs and burgers? We enjoy the Bookstore and Restaurant, with indoor and outdoor dining options. Located by the water, it has a bookstore next door to the restaurant, and there is a bar underneath the restaurant, called The Bombshelter, where many locals hang out.















Wellfleet is also well known for its art galleries so if you’re up for checking these out, but your guy is not, send him to Chequessett Yacht & Country Club, a semi-private golf course for a round of golf. Apparently, there’s a gorgeous view of the Cape from the 6th hole.

Don’t forget the s’mores!

No comments: