Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Comfy shoes for those cobblestoned streets

Voyageuse here:)

I don’t know about you, but I sure can’t last too long in a pair of cute shoes. 99% of the time, i end up with a limp or plastered with band-aids! And then I wonder how those European women do it? Last time I visited Paris, I gawked in amazement at the majority of women strutting down the street in their fabulous shoes, cleverly maneuvering those cobblestoned streets. Must be that French “Je ne sais quoi.”

If you’re planning for travel or just want some cute shoes that will leave you pain-free, here are three pairs I swear by:

Sneakers, in particular those comfy white ones you may work out in, scream “I’m a tourist” in Europe. If you just love 'em, go for it, but for the sneaker-loving girl, I highly recommend Pumas. I became a devoted Puma fan when I brought along a pair of navy plain Pumas with the velcro straps (oh the convenience!) while studying abroad for 6 months. I walked for hours at times and always felt great. There are tons of Pumas out there, and the ones I’ve had are very light and easy to pack. These are cute in any color:


I’ll also let you in on a two secrets: 1) I’ve scored two deals now on Pumas in the Sale section in DSW - $40 each! 2) My hairdresser told me that the Puma Warehouse in Westford, MA is having their tent sale the last weekend of May – tons of stuff, shoes included, for low prices – like $20! Be prepared for mass chaos though, I’ve heard when they initially unload the trucks, it’s a scene à la Running of the Brides in Boston.



If you’re looking for something a little less casual but don’t want to deal with a heel, try ballet flats. They were all the rage when I visited Paris last year so I rushed out to buy a pair but it took a while to break them in. I came home and scored a great deal once again in the Sale section at DSW: this bronze pair of ballet flats that are so comfy. And can you believe they’re Dr. Scholls?










Finally, if you’re really looking for a pair of shoes to really dress up an outfit, I recommend these:

Coincidentally, TravelSpark has these shoes in ivory for her upcoming wedding and a wedding is exactly where I first tried my pair out. I danced the whole night away in them. This is the second pair of Nina shoes I have owned. With both of them, the material of the shoes is what has made them comfortable to wear, because no hard straps were digging into any part of my foot.



Happy Trails! And if you have any particular shoes that you swear by, please share…a girl can never have enough shoes☺

No comments: