Monday, April 28, 2008

One 22" Bag for 8 Nights? - The Conclusion

I'm back from my eight-night trip to Tel Aviv, Moscow, and Paris with all my luggage and plenty of ideas for future articles. Many thanks to the lovely Wandering Albatross and Voyageuse for keeping the blog alive in my absence.
After my somewhat frantic and jet-lagged post from the BA lounge in Heathrow at 5am London time, I am pleased to say that despite my fears my luggage followed me all the way through the week and back through Heathrow again, even through a transfer from Terminal 5 to 4 with only a two-hour layover. Yay!

British Airways ultimately did not allow my 22" bag on board because it was just a teensy bit overstuffed, but I am happy to say that I still managed to pack everything I needed for my trip without even using the bag's expansion zipper. If I'd used some compression bags for my clothes, I'm sure I would have gotten the luggage on board.

So how does a girly-girl like myself fit eight nights' worth of stuff into such a "small" bag?

Step 1: Pick the right luggage. My Pathfinder bag comfortably fit two pairs of shoes and includes a snap-in/snap-out 1-quart clear zipper bag for toiletries (which I didn't use as my primary toiletry bag, but could have). It also comes with a very slim, lightweight garment bag (not used on this trip, but handy) two inner zipper pockets and two very large ones on the outside. Yes, putting things in those outside pockets may have led to my bag's BA denial, but other airlines may be a bit less restrictive. Do the research with your airline beforehand and err on the conservative side.

Step 2: Do you really need all those shoes? The answer is likely "no". And this is coming from a girl who owns many, many pairs. Shoes take up a lot of space. You may try to justify that extra pair by telling yourself that you can pack your socks in them - but honey, shoes take up way more space than socks. For this trip, I actually started the packing process with my shoes, and I packed just two pairs and wore one. Yes, that makes only three pairs for a week+ trip. It can be done! I wore my slip-on Pumas (on the left) while in transit because they're both comfy and practical: no shoe laces or metal bits to deal with when going through security. For my four days of business I packed a black pair of comfortable Clarks heels (from a previous trip through Heathrow - Clarks has much better designs in their UK stores!), and cute Kenneth Cole Reaction red flats. For more tips on stylish but practical traveling shoes, see Voyageuse's post.

Step 3: Check the forecast.
For an eight-night trip, I usually pack six pairs of pants twelve tops, and countless pieces of undergarments to account for any weather scenario and social situation. Hey, you never know when it'll be a hot, steamy day or freezing cold night! Actually, yes, you will. It's called weather.com and it works for international as well as US cities. If it's not going to be below freezing, you don't need a thick wool sweater and down coat. Layer thinner pieces instead.

Step 4: Coordinate! I'm sure I'm not the first person to suggest packing coordinating outfits, but I'll be the next person to reiterate that point. Stick to common colors (like black and gray, as I did) and pop them with color. Lay out all of your choices on the bed and assemble them by outfit. This allows you to quickly identify an item if it doesn't fit with all of the others. I managed on four pairs of pants (dark rinse jeans that I wore on the plane, khakis, gray dress pants and black dress pants (lightweight wool, fully lined and virtually wrinkle-free), eight blouses/shirts and two over-sweaters. Everything was light-weight, able to be layered, and in fabrics that don't wrinkle easily. Cotton and linen wrinkle - avoid them when possible. Use jumbo-size zip-lock bags to keep your clothes organized and less likely to wrinkle, and pack a travel-size bottle of Febreeze to keep clothes fresh so you can get more use from them.

Step 5: Don't pack your whole vanity.
Usually there's no need for a hairdryer, as they're in most hotel rooms. Same with an iron. You don't need full-size bottles of shampoo, either. Remember, you're packing a carry-on bag and are limited to the TSA's 3-1-1- policy. Check the travel-size aisle at your local Target for minis of your favorite store brands, or ask your salon for a bunch of samples. There's also no need for a gazillion make-up products. Choose items that are multipurpose or pack several products in a small package, like this lips & eyes set from Two Faced, or these cute gloss dots from Cargo, both at Sephora.
Step 6: Weed it out. Take one last look through everything. Do you need that extra pair of trouser socks, bra, or panties? Or, like I did, can you use a little hotel shampoo to wash them in the sink? Do you need that extra "going out top" or will some inexpensive and small jewelry be enough to dress up your day shirt for evening? And remember, unless you're going somewhere third-world, there are stores and pharmacies that the concierge can direct you to if you forget something. Think of it as a good excuse to shop! In the end, you'll have a small, more manageable bag to wheel through the airport and the satisfaction that you've only packed what you need, and saved some space to bring home souvenirs.

I'd love to hear your packing tips. Leave a comment or drop me a line - travelspark@gmail.com. Happy packing!

No comments: