Monday, April 14, 2008

One 22" Bag for 8 nights? Part 2

When I told friends and co-workers that I planned to travel for eight nights with a 22" carry-on, I was met with snickers and incredulous stares. One colleague who I travel with for two weeks at a time laughed hard, saying "Are you serious? I see what you travel with!" Fair enough. He's seen me struggle plenty of times with a bag so large I could practically stow away in it. The skepticism made me feel quite competitive, and I braced myself for the challenge.

So, can a girly-girl like me who typically travels with enough shoes for every possible situation pack all her stuff in a carry-on? The answer is.... kind of. Sure, everything fit into the bag, and when I get home I'll load up some pictures of how I did it and provide some tips. The problem was that British Airways wouldn't let it come on board with me. BA has very strict rules about carry-ons, which I knew. The measurements of my suitcase are within their limits. However, the measurements of my suitcase crammed with eight nights worth of stuff are not. While the BA rep agreed to let me on the plane with it, she couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't be taken away from me at the gate. Rather than risk the bag not getting on my plane at all, I checked it.

The good news is that this first leg of the trip, at least, is not through Terminal 5 as I first thought. So, there is a slightly higher probability that my luggage will arrive in Israel when I do. In the meantime, I sit in the BA lounge in the wee hours of the morning praying that my bag arrives on time and, just as imporantly, intact (no lock on it since silly me thought I could bring it with me). Since I planned to carry everything on, I have no extra underwear and t-shirt that I typically carry on, and no power cord for my laptop. This could present a problem at my meeting tomorrow...

Despite having to check the luggage after all, the experience was a good one. I was very mindful to pack just enough for the trip and nothing more. When I'm finally reunited with my bag, it will be much easier for me to lug around than my larger bag. At least these are the things I'm telling myself to remain calm and positive!

Lesson learned: pack even lighter so your bag doesn't bulge.

No comments: